Friday, December 10, 2010

Shad in Canada and beyond

This past Wednesday night found me in Berlin, trudging through foot-deep snow in an old train yard-turned-arts complex and skate park, being reminded of my home in more ways than the numbness in my toes. Shad was taking the stage that night at Casseopeia, not that I haven't seen him perform a handful of times on stages in and around London, Ontario. But clearly this was a unique opportunity to see my fellow Londoner, one that played our high school auditorium once upon four-or-so years ago, take an international platform.

Shad gave me this interview before I knew I would be able to make it to his show at Casseopeia on Wednesday, otherwise the questions would be less focused on what I've always considered his distinct "Canadianess" and more on his international success. Success I experienced first hand surrounded by packs of enthusiastic German fans.

At his past London shows, my friends and I would rock back and forth to his jams surrounded by everyone else we knew, all one fanatic being forged together by this glowing pride and enthusiasm for our hometown-hero. One massive life form with multiple heads, arms and legs, but moving them all in such uncanny synchronization like we shared one collective consciousness. Even up there behind the microphone he always felt like one of us, and as talented as we all knew he was, it felt good to have him as our little hometown secret. Well, I speak for myself, but that's how I always felt.

But Shad says it himself on TSOL: the cat's out of the bag. If I knew an equivalent for that expression in German, I would use it here.

Anyway, like I said, this interview is very much about his Canadianess, and his place in the country's burgeoning hip hop scene. Originally I was going to angle this story on Shad's status as Canadian media's hip hop darling, and how his unique voice and sound represented our country's industry compared to that of our neighbour's to the South. But this failed in two ways: (1) Shad is much to humble to go along with that sort of thing, and (2) obviously it's not just Canadians that are listening to our homeboy's albums.

***

The media love to put your name in headlines with "Canadian hip hop". How do you generally respond to your poster-boy status?

Well this is the country that I've been able to share my music with for the most part so i understand being associated with this scene. Given all the great things going on in hip hop in Canada lately its been an honour being sometimes mentioned with K'naan and K-OS, Drake and company. I think though that if you look at the artists I just mentioned, it speaks to how eclectic Canadian hip hop is, so I don't think anyone could really be a poster-boy for our scene. That's one of the best things about it.

You've been touring with K-OS, and many have compared your organic lyrical style to his. But in terms of themes and content, how would you say you differ from K-OS, and other Canadian contemporaries in the business today?

Well as I was saying I think the cool thing about Canadian hip hop artists is how different we all are. K-OS is so talented and creative, K'naan has a powerful and unique voice, etc... I think I'm still trying to find my own way of communicating too. I like to use humour here and there to keep things engaging and touch on a lot of different themes that I think are either important or just fun and entertaining.

Who would be your dream collaborator, living or dead, on the next Shad album?

Lauryn Hill.

You pay some lip service to your hometown on TSOL. What are some of your fondly remembered places/things/events from London, ON?

I have so many memories of London! Some of my best friends are there and I love seeing them. I think my best memories are with them growing up. Hanging with my sister and neighborhood friends as a kid playing in the creeks by Westminster high school. Swimming in Southcrest pool in the summer. listening to 1410 CKSL... I could go on forever!

***
Big thanks to Shadrach K for the interview! And Sophie Cooper for the photos

No comments:

Post a Comment